Monday, August 12, 2013

Banana Bread

This post is for my beautiful, talented, creative daughter-in-law, who happens to be married to my only son.  And my only son, who can't stand to eat bananas (it's a texture thing), LOVES banana bread.  So when I jokingly posted a photo of 3 very yummy-looking (and tasting!) mini loaves the other day, she specifically requested the recipe.  So here it is, as well as a bonus recipe for the banana-sour cream coffee cake that has become Dad's favorite!

BANANA BREAD
*recipe obtained via my mom

Mix and set aside: 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream: 1/2 cup margarine (stick), 1 cup sugar, 2 eggs and 1 tsp. vanilla (Note: I usually cream the margarine and sugar first with the mixer, then add the eggs and vanilla and beat until well mixed)

Add: 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 cup mashed bananas (approx. 2-3 in my world)

Gradually add flour mixture, mix thoroughly.  If desired, add 1/2 cup nuts (Not in THIS house!)
(Note:  After I add the sour cream and bananas, I mix the rest of the ingredients with a wooden spoon.  I feel like the mixer over-beats the batter, and I like to take it a little slower.  Up to you!)

Bake in a regular sized loaf pan at 350 for 45-50 minutes.  If making mini loaves (like my photo below-I have the Pampered Chef mini loaf stoneware), it makes 3.  Bake for about 40 minutes, then do the ol' dry spaghetti/toothpick test, and if it comes out clean, they're done!


OK, that's the "classic" recipe for the Mahan household.  The next recipe (no photo, sorry!) was discovered online a few years ago when, one summer, we (meaning me and whatever kids were home from school) decided to start a new summer tradition.  We ended up calling it Coffee Cake Tuesday, and so I found several tasty recipes online, and we tried a new one every week!  This one has survived the longest, I make it even when it isn't Tuesday!  Even though it claims to be a coffee cake, the texture and flavor are banana-bread quality.  If anyone out there is a cooking chemist, you can probably enlighten me as to the difference, but whatever.  The taste is the thing, and this is moist and delicious!

BANANA-SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE
*From Southern Living

1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup chopped pecans (again, not for us!  We aren't allergic, I just don't like nuts in bread or cookies!--and I'm the cook!)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 large eggs
1 cup mashed banana (again, 2 or 3 is my usual, depending on how many have turned brown!)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Stir together 1/4 cup sugar, pecans (opt), and cinnamon; sprinkle half of mixture in a well-greased 12-cup bundt pan.  Set remaining mixture aside.

Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar, beating 5 to 7 minutes.  (Cooking chemists:  WHY?  That's a stinkin' long time to stand there with the mixer.  That's even longer than most commercial breaks during Big Bang Theory!!)  Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.  Add banana, sour cream, and vanilla, beating at low speed just until blended.

Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; fold into butter mixture.  Pour half of batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with remaining pecan (cinnamon/sugar) mixture.  Top with remaining batter.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan, and cool on wire rack.  (Whatever--I cool it for awhile, then flip it out onto a dinner plate.  I cover it with an inverted large plastic mixing bowl to keep it moist.)

Yield: 1 (10-inch) coffee cake

As you can see, the coffee cake version is a little more labor intensive, but it yields a bigger result.  (Translation:  it might last longer than 2 days!) 

Hope you enjoy these!  Bon appetite!



No comments:

Post a Comment