Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Case of the Instant Proficient





You know, I selected these 4 topics for September, but it doesn't mean that I had my own answers for them at the ready!  In real life, I understand that the journey is part of the gift...happiness is not the destination, it's the journey.....and so on.  I know that part of the satisfaction of being good at anything is the blood, sweat and tears that it takes you to get there.  If we're not moving forward, we're sliding backwards.  OK, enough cliches.  I'm stalling.  The problem is that this topic speaks to a core flaw in Cindy's psyche.  I've always been pretty content to be "incredibly average" (M*A*S*H episode reference).  I had a biology teacher my sophomore year in high school named Mr. Brown (rest in peace).  One grading period, he called us up individually to show us our grades before the report card came out.  He pointed to my 'B' and said, "You know, you'd have an A if you weren't having so much fun." --- and my immediate thought was, "And??!...why would I want to do that?"  I've been blessed to have the ability to be pretty good at many things, but I can't say I've excelled at any one thing.  (Well, I did give birth to, and raise, 6 of the most amazing people on the planet, but other than marrying their father and taking advantage of his gene pool, I can't even take all the credit for them!)  ANYWAY, I'm still so very OK with this particular trait of mine, it should be scary.  But it's not.  I'm kinda crafty, I'm kinda good at singing, I'm kinda good at cooking/baking, I'm pretty good at my job, etc.  And I'm VERY fine with it all!  I am content to admire, and enrich my life with, those who do excel at certain things.  I really don't have a envious bone in my body.  


But, if I could be instantly good at something that I don't have ANY skill for, it would be playing the piano.  Yeah, Jen already said that, but she did something about it.  And, true to my form, I wouldn't want to be Carnegie Hall-proficient, just good-enough-to-play-hymns-at-church proficient.  I know, I know, I'm not too old to start piano lessons.  We'll see.  It's not technically on my 'bucket list', but it could be a high alternate. Case solved.  The wife/mother/grandmother/librarian did it.  But without proficiency.


1 comment:

  1. You are wrong for sure about one thing. You are amazing at your job.

    ReplyDelete