Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sibling Rivals and other Relative Topics

Dad, Mom, Cindy, (Cathy-in small photo), Dan - 3 years ago at my parent's 50th anniversary bash


Cathy-as seen on her current facebook profile
 Pull up the couch and show your Freudian slips...it's time to talk about my siblings.  Jen's first blog topic for October is to share qualities about our siblings, and our parents, too, if we so choose.  I do.  But let's start with the sister and brother.
Cathy - I am the oldest, and my only sister is less than 2 years younger than me.  We are about as opposite as two sisters ever could be....I'm tall, she's short, I'm outgoing, she's shy, I'm clean, she's cluttered...you get the idea.  When we lived together, it made for a less than harmonious relationship.  Once we were both out of the house and on our own, things improved dramatically.  I think we both appreciate and enjoy each other when we don't have to share the same living space.  So I can honestly and with heartfelt sincerity tell you that my sister has one of the biggest, most generous hearts of anyone on the planet.  She would throw herself in front of a train for someone she barely knows, and will fiercely defend her own family and mine.  She has been the only aunt my kids have ever had, and she loves them as much as she loves her own.  She has a soft spot for the underdogs and less privileged, and would be adopting every African orphan and 'crack baby' she could, if she had the resources!  Life with Cathy is never boring!

Dan - As the baby and the only boy, my brother has been pretty spoiled, and I'm just as guilty as the adults in his life!  We're 6 years apart, so I kinda felt like a 2nd mom to him.  He's easy to spoil....he's kind, thoughtful, generous and loyal!  He's a whiz with finances; I'm glad that one of us has a level head on their shoulders when it comes to money!  Oh, and he's very handsome, too.  He has a dry wit that leaves you in stitches!  I like him.

Dad - There aren't too many people in this world who don't enjoy my dad.  He's baudy, outspoken and the consummate sportsman.  I've grown up with hunting dogs and equipment as our standard decor.  He is a proud Scotsman, which includes the tendency toward excessive frugality.  "If I had a nickel for every light you kids left on....!"  However, I admire that he's been retired for many years, and has kept himself and my mom self-sufficient.  They take frequent camping trips; he gets to go on regular hunting expeditions.  One thing I admire the most about Doug Gray is how much he loves my mom, and how good he is (and was) to her widowed mother and her 3 sisters.  For a guy who grew up with only one brother, he has done an amazing job in his role as big brother.  That says a lot about any man.

Mom - is amazing. People are just drawn to Judy Gray.  She emanates an aura of kindness and empathy.  She will stand in a line at the grocery store, and by the time she leaves, she's heard the life stories of at least 3 people.  She's that easy to talk to, and that genuinely caring.  I can only hope to have half of her ability to make others feel better about themselves. 

I'm blessed to have both parents going strong.  They are wonderful people, and they're even better grandparents (and now GREAT-grandparents!) than they were parents!  And as for my sister and brother...I think I'll keep 'em.

My hour is up. Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment