Monday, April 6, 2015

Diary of a School District Employee on Spring Break: Days 7, 8 and 9

Yep, here we are.  As often happens in the saga of normal diary writing, there are just some days that get away from us, and before you know it, you have to condense the fun into one entry.  

The reason this time is a good one.  The Guzmans (Lisa, Hondo, Mo and Mara) arrived around 9:30 p.m. on Thursday night, and the best part of the break began!  My Mo gives the tightest hugs when we are reunited, and I love it! Mara warmed up quickly, too, and can say "Gramma" now (heaven!)!

So, Friday--

Kelli came down to spend the day with us, too, so we colored, got out Play-Doh (old and too dry), and just visited and visited.  The major event, unfortunately, took place early in the evening, and had nothing to do with our guests.  Lisa and I finally got a chance to head to Target to buy Easter supplies, while Kelli got the girls ready to go play outside.  Right after they went out, Josie attacked Viva, and they began a huge fight.  Kelli was a rock star...she instinctively grabbed a girl under each arm and fled to the house. Then she got out the hose and sprayed them, trying to break it up.  She called us, but I told her to let them fight it out. This happened last summer while she and I were in Orem. Our neighbor called to tell me they were fighting, and she hollered at them but they wouldn't stop. I don't know what triggers it.  Regardless, it continued, and Kelli called again.  So Lisa and I abandoned our outing and headed home. By the time we'd arrived, Kelli had used the hose again and succeeded in stopping the fight. They'd worn each other out. Viva was bloody and traumatized. She wouldn't let me touch her.  So we separated them for the rest of the night. It became obvious after an hour or so, though, that while Viva was outwardly the worse for wear, Josie had it worse.  She was limping, and when we shut her into our room on her bed, she didn't move the rest of the night until morning. I was worried about internal bleeding.  We certainly can't afford to fix that.  

So, Saturday--

Josie didn't get up to go outside in the morning, Viva was feeling much better. I called Michael and we took her (Josie) to the vet.  I intended to have Josie put down, but the gals at the vet talked us into a basic exam to determine her injuries first, before making that decision. I felt it was the least we could do. The exam determined that she didn't seem to have serious internal damage, so we brought her home with an antibiotic and some phone numbers of shelters/sanctuaries. She's doing much better now, but we can't keep her. 

Lisa and I finally did our Easter shopping, and then Grandma and Grandpa Gray came down to visit and share an early Easter dinner with all of us. Kelli and Tyler are both sick, so they couldn't join us. It was such a nice visit, though, and a wonderful meal!  They left shortly after dinner, and we set up supplies to color Easter eggs.  It was so fun! Mo was delighted, it was just like magic for her when Lisa pulled out the first egg from the dye cup! So cute! 

We got the girls bathed and to bed, and then Lisa and I put together the baskets.  Hondo laughed at all the candy and goodies we got, but hey!  That's the fun!

Sunday--

Girls woke up, came out and saw the Easter baskets.  So fun! The Easter bunny got them each a cute little stuffed bunny, Mara latched on to the purple one right away!  Then giving Mo instructions on how to hunt for the Easter eggs that were hidden in the living room was so adorable!  She had so much fun finding them! Lisa and Hondo reminded me that I have had Easter with them every year.  I didn't remember that, but I don't doubt it! It's just worked out that way!

This weekend was General Conference, too, but what with the doggie drama and guests, I didn't get to watch as much of it as I had hoped. Thank goodness for lds. org!

Sunday highlight...Lisa handed Mara and her bottle to me late in the morning, and my sweet girl fell asleep on my lap, so we snuggled while they packed and cleaned up.  They left a little after 1...tugged at my heart, I helped Mara climb down the front steps and she toddled off toward her car, but then turned around and took a few steps back toward us, as if to say, "Aren't you coming too?" Sweet girl!  

I took a lovely long nap that afternoon, and then Mikey and I snacked on leftovers for dinner. Then it was time to figure out what to do with the kids during library this week....and just like that, spring break was over.  

I'm glad I didn't plan to travel, because I really needed this week home. Loved so much of it, and though I can't truly say I'm refreshed, I am at least a little bit renewed. Now I'm just determined to make the best of these last 6 weeks. They'll fly by, as they always do! A lot will happen between now and then, with the biggest event the arrival of Beau Michael Sadler! Jen's c-section is scheduled for April 30, and we are all praying that her blood pressure stays low until then! 

The fun never ends..........

Thanks for listening.  

2 comments:

  1. It was a good visit. I'm glad we got to come. Thanks for being awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about your break! Glad you blogged, it is inspiring me to do so. Sometimes I fall into the trap of thinking I can't say anything unless it's going to amaze the room, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete