Friday, July 15, 2016

Summer Blog Challenge 2016 - Entries for July 6, 9, 12 and 13

I am so far behind on this challenge that I'm going to cheat and combine my answers to one post. Here are the topics:

* What skill would I want to INSTANTLY have?

Easy. Playing the piano.  I feel like I've answered this one somewhere before, and it hasn't changed. I wouldn't want to be a Piano Guy, but I'd like to play well enough to do justice to the hymns and some simpler arrangements of certain show tunes.

* What thing do I say I think (but I really don't)?

This one is tricky. I'm so overly cautious that I often don't say what I really think, because I avoid confrontation at (almost) all costs. I have lived my life turning away from subjects that I disagree with, rather than facing them. It has become very easy for me to just file them away in my brain and move on--changing the subject. So when I DO say what I think, I really mean it. And if I don't say anything, or change the subject, then you can bet that I'm thinking something very different than what is being stated by whomever I am in a conversation with. I understand that this is probably not very healthy, but it makes for a more peaceful existence.  Honestly, I'm not usually around anyone who is so radically different than I, so I don't have a reason to state something that I don't really feel. Convoluted answer?  Yes.  But that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

*If I had a time machine, where would I visit?

First of all, I'm stressing the word "visit". Anywhere I went, I'd want to come back. But if I could go anywhere in time, I'd want to go back and spend time with my grandparents. I never knew my maternal grandpa, he died when my mom was 13, and my grandma basically became a recluse. I'd like to know them when he was here and she was a more vibrant, alive person. And I'd like to see my paternal grandparents again. That grandpa died when I was 16.  We were close, and I'd like to see him and my other grandma again.

*Advice I would like to share

I am FULL of advice....I just don't get to share it as often as I want! Ha! Part of that is because I learned a long time ago that advice is not always well received when it isn't asked for. If someone asks my opinion on something, or for the benefit of my "expertise", I'm happy to share it!  But I've learned that if a person gives out unsolicited advice, it isn't always well received, and less likely to be acted upon. That being said, here's one of my favorites:

TO PARENTS:  Train yourself not to use the word "OK" after every direction or statement you give to your child!  By using OK at the end of your sentence, you are basically asking your child's permission to do whatever you're requesting.  You're their PARENT, for Pete's sake!  For example--
"You need to go clean your room, OK?" --which translates in the kid's mind as, "Is is all right with you if I ask you to clean your room now?"  In their minds, they're thinking "NO, it's not OK.....I'm busy with my video game!"  Directions need to be given as a declarative sentence, not a question! If you HAVE to say something in the form of a question, use the words "Do You Understand?"  See the difference?  "You need to go clean your room--do you understand?" Then you get an answer that you can work with, instead of "But I'm doing ___________ right now....(whiny tone)" -- AAND then you've started a battle of wills. It can be a hard habit to break, but it makes a huge difference it establishing a more solid parent/child dynamic.

No comments:

Post a Comment