Saturday, July 30, 2016

Summer Blog Challenge 2016 - Entry for July 24 - Why My Relationship Works

Everyone sees the key word in the title of this entry, right?  WORKS. My relationship with Michael Roger works because we work. 

I think that, after 37 years of marriage, there are some ways that we have become more alike than we were. That's not a bad thing, I'm sure much of it is because of the fact that our history together makes this true. But we are also still different in how we handle things (like stress) or how we form and maintain friendships. 

I know it doesn't always hold true for everyone, but I think part of our success is the fact that we have grown up together. Teen marriages have a higher percentage of failures, according to statistics, but we have just built each other up over the years. And I can't downplay the part that humor plays in our lives...because laughing about things and finding the fun in life is a key survival strategy!  Fortunately, it comes naturally to both of us!

And I feel like a major part of the success of our relationship is our commitment to God and our faith. Having this in common, and working on it together, is crucial to maintaining (and improving!) our bond.

He's a good guy.  He's a loyal, fierce friend. He's a determined, funny person. The family we have created together is amazing, and as it expands, we both revel in the joys it brings.
How cute (and oh, so 70's!!) were we!?

No comments:

Post a Comment