Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Blog Challenge Day 27: What Makes Me Feel Better, Always

I will not play tug o' war. I'd rather play hug o' war. Where everyone hugs instead of tugs, Where everyone giggles and rolls on the rug, Where everyone kisses, and everyone grins, and everyone cuddles, and everyone wins.
Shel Silverstein

OK, it was the word "always" that made me ponder.  I mean, there are LOTS of things that make me feel better, depending on the situation--Jane Austen, Lord of the Rings movies, macaroni and cheese, talking to my mom, phone chats with my children, petting my dogs, and so on.  But I've chosen a winner, and found a pretty good quote to help convey it!  HUGS, ladies and gentlemen, will help me feel better EVERY TIME (as in, ALWAYS)!  This weekend I attended a funeral for a man who died much too young, and after suffering much too much physical pain that left him with very little quality of life.  After the service, I walked up to his 20-some year old daughter, whom I love, and just held out my arms.  She immediately embraced me tightly and started to cry.  It was healing, for me and for her.  And when I turned to hug her mother after that, she actually thanked me for hugging her girl.  Like it was difficult...but she told me that I have healing hugs.  I don't know if I've ever received a more wonderful compliment.  I saw another quote on the same web page as the one above, and basically it said, 4 hugs a day for survival, 8 for maintenance, and 12 a day for growth.  I like it.  A lot can be said, and felt, just by wrapping our arms around someone.  Words are optional.  

1 comment: